Monday, November 15, 2010

Haiti

Our first cases of cholera  in PortAuPrince. The tent only had room for eight patients so some were being turned away at the gate. I still remember a teenage boy who had carried a girl (his neighbor) after seeing her passed out. He pleaded for her to be let in despite being told that we were full. He didn't let up. The walk to the next treatment facility was too long and dangerous, he said. He was finally let in. We made room for the patient by removing another one who was not as sick. It soon became clear that he had saved her life. She would not have survived long enough to make it to the other place. I never had the channce to tell him that. Last I remember, he was giving me a thumbs up before dosing off for a few hours on the pavement. She ended up recovering. I didnt see him again. Even though I was in Haiti for a short time, I still remember the immense courage of people who had gone through so much ... the earthquake, then cholera. Inspiring.




No comments: